Skip to main content

Today

Today I am a freaking rock star!  Today I am not only surviving my husband's deployment to Afghanistan, I am kicking some deployment a$$!  Today I am mom to my 2 and 3-year-old kiddos, and I am Detective to nearly everyone else. I am also covered in buggers from a sick little one!

My husband, CJ, is a Black Hawk pilot in the National Guard, and he has just begun what will be around a 9 month deployment. That does not include all of the pre deployment crap he did before. Basically he will have been gone on and off for just over a year once this 9ish months is done.

I have tried to read some of the army books for wives.  Nearly all of them suck.  I don't move every few years so get rid of that chapter, money is better when he is activated for Guard duty than for his regular job so the finances chapter can go, and don't tell me to get away or stay with family when things get tough.  I have a freaking career that makes it kind of difficult to just spend a month with relatives.  I read something that suggested just quitting for the deployment and starting back when he gets home. Really!?! I don't exactly have the type of job you can just put on hold. I did take off nearly a year to be with him for most of his flight school.  I also sped up plans for baby #2 so I wouldn't have to take any more time off after being gone for a year.  Once you take out the finances chapter, the chapter on moving all the time and the crap about giving up your career or worse yet the books that assume since your husband is military you couldn't possibly have the drive and determination to have your own career you have no book.  I will discuss my deep hatred for the assumption that I am my husband, and that no military wife has career aspirations or accomplishments of her own in a later post.

It is from my inability to find much good advice or support from anything that pretends to represent military wives that I am choosing to write this blog.  Yes, my husband is "only National Guard" so I probably don't know anything about anything, and since he is "only National Guard" the scare of in in being gone is so much less, and I hear RPGs don't hit National Guard helicopters. Choose to dismiss me as not knowing crap if you want, or choose to find another voice speaking for what I hope is many women around the country who feel alienated from their communities as their neighbors live the normal life and from the military since we aren't really military families.

Today I choose to at least be a whispers for a voice that is very often not heard or at least not given a second thought.  Today I give a fresh prospective of a somewhat successful working woman, mother and wife to a Deployed United States Soldier.

Comments

  1. Amen!! I get so incredibly sick of being dismissed as if my husband being in the National Guard is not dangerous. The next person who tells me he is just a "weekend warrior" I might strangle. All sacrifices are meaningful. I haven't had to endure a deployment yet, thank God. I just wanted tolet you know that you are an amazing mother and wife. Keep your head held high. Like you said, you're a rockstar!! (:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Failure, Anger and Jealousy

Today hasn't been a good day for me, and I don't know how to turn it around. Right now I'm in my room with tears in my eyes while my kids run wild way after bedtime. 
Today I'm failing. Today I can't get anything done, and I'm just getting mad at everyone. I'm buried at work, and my house looks like a freaking disaster. I'm not talking the over dramatic my house is a mess because I didn't dust last week crap. I'm talking we can't walk through bedrooms without breaking stuff, laundry is has overtaken every room and the floors have who knows what stuck to them. To top it all off, the guy who said he would now for me isn't. It's been over a month since the lawn was mowed, and it looks more like a troll on LSD than a yard. 
Today I'm mad because once again someone said they would do something to help me out, and they have failed to deliver. I was relieved when CJ told me he had someone to mow the lawn. It i one less thing I had to do…

Never A Dull Moment

My house is crazy. Sometimes it's fun crazy and sometimes it's dinner is still on the table at midnight crazy. Crazy is exciting most of the time, but crazy can also be stressful.

Last month was mostly dinner on the table at midnight crazy. It was stressful and hectic and ever changing. I will rewind to around June. CJ was told he would be going to another training. This time it would be around 3 months long, and he would leave in October. Hahahahaha. Funny joke Army. October came and the training was pushed to November then late January. Once January rolled around it was pushed back again to the end of March.

Now that history is been given, I present you with the dumpster fire (fun phrase that one should not use in a work meeting to describe how a case is progressing) that was last month. Once March hit CJ's commander decided he NEEDED him in the state, and the powers that be were convinced to pull him from the training. This was bad since the training also put CJ in a gr…

My Little Bundle of Anger

My little man has always been a Momma's Boy when Daddy is around. Once CJ is gone the tables turn, and my cuddly little man only wants his dad.  He turns into a little wrecking ball of hate and anger, and it breaks my heart.

I've read all the advice that the one who acts up is the one who needs the most love. Great advice, but it's much harder to follow than their flowery articles make it out to be. How the hell am I supposed to give all my attention to Mr. Hate when me and my daughter are starving and dinner needs made? How do I get homework done with my daughter when he is screaming and grabbing the books from us? What do I do in the mornings when I'm going to be super late for work and he is screaming that he doesn't want to get dressed? How much time and attention do I give him before I'm just letting him be a brat?  If you have the answers hold them because I'm going to tell you how I handled this. I probably did it all wrong, but I did it out way. 
We…