Skip to main content

Beyond Surviving

Initially I viewed this deployment as something I would just have to survive, but now I realize that simply surviving is not enough for me. To me surviving means living in dread, disparity and on the verge of losing it at any moment. I refuse to spend even a portion of my life like this.

I have had days where I simply survived, and those days make me realize I cannot live this way.  That is easier said than done. It is easy to sit on the couch and think poor me or there is no way on earth I can do this.  I have been there, but I refused to stay there.

I realized at a leadership training I went to that I could do more than simply make it through this deployment.  I learned to tell myself that this is the life I chose, and I choose all the stresses that come with my life.  I choose each day to continue in my career.  I chose to become a parent, and it chose to space my children only 15 months apart even though I knew my husband would most likely deploy when they were young.  I did not chose for my husband to enter the military, but I chose to support him and marry someone whom I knew had those ambitions.  I also chose to be proud of his accomplishments instead of being angry with him for being gone.

This simple change in mindset has helped me tremendously.  I have gone from feeling alone and forced to do things to owning my responsibilities and making them a choice, and they are a choice.  I could quit my job tomorrow.  I could leave my kids with my parents or friends all the time.  I could have anger and resentment for my husband for the choices he has made.  I choose not to.

I have also learned to look for the positives, and give myself praise for what I have accomplished even if it is something small.  When I figured out how to replace the furnace air filter and the fridge water filter in the same day I told myself I was pretty kick ass.  Who else was going to recognize I had found and fixed a problem on my own?  If you wait for the world to bring you up you will wait forever especially if you are like me and a bit isolated.

Give yourself the accolades you deserve even if it is for something silly like dragging the Christmas tree out of the basement on your own.  That is an accomplishment even if it is just a small one.  Think of all the women who got to yell at their husbands for a week to get the thing up.  You, my friend, are strong enough to not depend on your husband.  You get stuff done.  You are a rock star!

Finally, and most importantly, I rely on my faith to give me the pushes I need.  I pray often, and I am continually asking God for help and strength.  Not everything is on my shoulders.  God will lift me up when I need him.

The only good book I have read about deployments is called "God Strong".  It is written by Sara Horn, and I highly recommend it for any military wife.  Within the first few pages it felt like she wrote the book solely for me, and is couldn't put it down.  It served as my reminder that I need to focus on God not only on my bad days, but every day.  God gives me the strength to smile when I couldn't do it on my own, and it is God who makes my kids do the cutest things right when I think I'm going to fall apart.

Remembering that God is in control is key to going beyond the shell of an existence that is survival.  With God's help I am thriving.  I am able to stay positive in situations where I would otherwise crumble because I know God is in control, and he has given me what I need to excel where he has put me. I just need to remember to put my full trust in him.

A year give or take is a long time.  Those of us in or facing a long separation from our spouses should seek to do more than just make it.  Our goal should be to have joy in our lives despite the giant elephant that is gone from the room.  We can miss our husbands, we can wish they were here with us and it is ok to be worried about them.  It is not ok to allow those things to direct our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The War That Never Ends

Sometimes the war is never over, and that is exactly how I feel right now. It has been almost 7 months since CJ has gotten home, and a lot of the time it is great. The other times it's dreadful. He is distant and angry. I never know what will set him off so I spend my time avoiding him. It's like we are still living our deployment lives, but in the same house. I'm living on an island and my husband is only a visitor. Some days he is a welcome guest full of laughs and love. Other times he is an invader. His presence is a disruption, and his outbursts of anger keep even our preschoolers on edge. It's not that h is unaware of it, but his awareness isn't enough. While I appreciate the apologies it doesn't make life around here any easier. Since he has gotten back, it seems like CJ can't handle stress. If he gets more than one thing on his plate his world comes to a screeching halt. When he was gone all he had to worry about was the war. He was a soldier and ...

The Other Sexual Harassment

I had a conversation the other day with one of our new female officers.  She is a great girl and very eager to learn, but she has been having some problems lately.  Unfortunately they are problems many females in law enforcement face.  It's sexual harassment, but not by her employer or coworkers.  This harassment comes from "The Wives", and it is painful. Law enforcement is a dysfunctional family.  I love the men I work with like I love my own brothers and uncles.  We have bonded, and we have a lot of shared stories and experiences. I can't explain this bond, and unfortunately many of the wives don't understand it or are jealous of it.  Especially when it comes to female officers. When I first started I was 22 years old.  I was put on a crew with 3 really great officers who taught me a lot, but they had to be careful.  If they were seen stopped talking to me too much by their wives or wives friends they would hear about it.  If their...

Bombs and Guns and War..So What

I'm not sure if apathy is the right word to describe how I feel about this war since I really do care especially with CJ over there now, but I don't know how else to describe it.  I almost feel as if war and terrorism have been so much a part of my life that CJ being at war is normal. Maybe it is just me, but is have a feeling that many my age feel the same way.  Our first glimpse of war came as we were starting elementary school in the form of the Persian Gulf War.  Images of air strikes and reporters throwing on gas masks were permanently burned into my young mind. Next was the Battle of Mogadishu.  I was in third grade, and I remember the pictures of the American Soldiers' corpses as they were dragged through the streets of a foreign country.  I remember the pictures of Mike Durante beaten, but alive.  I remember it was war.  It was horrible, but normal. When I think of terrorism on American Soil there is not one image that pops into my mind. ...