Skip to main content

When He gets Home

As with any deployment plans have changed again.  This news is better than the last, but I am being cautiously optimistic CJ and the rest of his unit will be home by Mid-September.  While I am ecstatic CJ will be home and we can begin the next chapter in our lives, I am a little sad as well.  CJ coming home means some of the things I have enjoyed with him gone will come to an end.

1. I love bedtime with the kids.  Some nights it is stressful, but it is our time to cuddle, read books and really be close.  When CJ is home I will have to share the kids again, and I'm not sure I want to all the time.

2. There is a sense of pride that I get whenever I accomplish the littlest of things.  High-five to me when I go to the store with both kids, get everything I need and have no meltdowns.  Plus I'm getting better at this doing it alone stuff so there are more and more high-five moments.

3. The paycheck will be missed.  Let's face it a deployed soldier makes a lot more than a cop.  Good bye morning latte and breakfast burrito at the coffee place by my office.  Hello breakfast bar and break room coffee.  The good news is we are now credit card free thanks to the deployment, CJ has a newer pickup, I had LASIK eye surgery (terrifying) and I got a sprinkler system installed in our big ass yard.  It would still be nice to have the extra money coming in, but I will take having my husband back over cash.  We got our financial goals accomplished for this deployment so we are both happy.

4. I'm really concerned I may gain back some of my weight.  With all the stress and constantly bing on the  move I have melted.  I have lost 50 lbs in the past 2 years.  The last 30 has been since November.  I really do not want to gain any.  As a precaution I ordered a fitbit the other day so we will see if it can keep me in check once it gets here in a couple of days.

5. Not only will I have to share the kids I will have to share my bed, shower, bathroom and everything else I have gotten used to having all to myself.  Boo!  I now have the mindset that I should not have to wait to take a shower, and I should be able to shower for as long as I damn well please on the weekends.  

6. There will be gross boy stuff again.  I can't quite put my finger on this one, but after CJ was gone for a while there was just less gross.  I've gotten used to no farting and no spit cups around.  I don't want gross to creep back into my house.  I doubt it creeps back anyway.  He has been eating army food for a while, and I'm sure home-cooked meals will bring the gross back in full force.


I hope you can tell two things from this.  First I am pretty sarcastic, and second that there are little hurdles that military families have to overcome once they are reunited.  CJ's life stopped for a year.  He left his job, his friends and his family; but we didn't put life on pause for him.  When he comes home things will be different.  The kids have grown and changed.  I have had to change in order to deal physically and emotionally with all the obstacles that have been thrown at me.  CJ coming home is great, but it will also be work for our family.  The good thing is that we both understand that and have talked about it.  We know there will be bumps in the road for us, but we are willing to take on that challenge.  (I will still miss my expensive coffee...tear)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Failure, Anger and Jealousy

Today hasn't been a good day for me, and I don't know how to turn it around. Right now I'm in my room with tears in my eyes while my kids run wild way after bedtime.  Today I'm failing. Today I can't get anything done, and I'm just getting mad at everyone. I'm buried at work, and my house looks like a freaking disaster. I'm not talking the over dramatic my house is a mess because I didn't dust last week crap. I'm talking we can't walk through bedrooms without breaking stuff, laundry is has overtaken every room and the floors have who knows what stuck to them. To top it all off, the guy who said he would now for me isn't. It's been over a month since the lawn was mowed, and it looks more like a troll on LSD than a yard.  Today I'm mad because once again someone said they would do something to help me out, and they have failed to deliver. I was relieved when CJ told me he had someone to mow the lawn. It i one less thing I had

Yep...He's Home

I would love to write something heartfelt and beautiful about the almost 3 months that C.J. has been home.  I can't.  It's not because things have gone horribly wrong since he has been home.  It has been great.  I'm just emotionally drained.  I don't know how to put into words what our lives have been like. It was amazing when the kids ran to him in the armory.  I can't even begin to describe the smiles on everyones' faces.  Then the kids started getting a bit crabby because they were hungry so off to Subway we went.  The honeymoon was over, and life together began again. We are both back at work.  I went back 4 days after he got home, and C.J. went back after being home for a mere 11 days.  We kind of never slow down.  I don't know if I could function if I wasn't going at full speed nearly all the time, and C.J. is worse than I am. So that's it.  I'm sure it sounds like I'm not happy to have him back or that I don't really lo

The War That Never Ends

Sometimes the war is never over, and that is exactly how I feel right now. It has been almost 7 months since CJ has gotten home, and a lot of the time it is great. The other times it's dreadful. He is distant and angry. I never know what will set him off so I spend my time avoiding him. It's like we are still living our deployment lives, but in the same house. I'm living on an island and my husband is only a visitor. Some days he is a welcome guest full of laughs and love. Other times he is an invader. His presence is a disruption, and his outbursts of anger keep even our preschoolers on edge. It's not that h is unaware of it, but his awareness isn't enough. While I appreciate the apologies it doesn't make life around here any easier. Since he has gotten back, it seems like CJ can't handle stress. If he gets more than one thing on his plate his world comes to a screeching halt. When he was gone all he had to worry about was the war. He was a soldier and