Skip to main content

My Bucket List

As any military member or spouse or anyone in law enforcement or their spouses will tell you our mortality is not taken for granted.  I am not only a military wife, I am a Trooper's wife and a Detective.  I haven't had any close calls nor have I lost any of my coworkers, but the shots fired calls have been all too close at times.  There have been many times where I was keenly aware of the fact that I was not invincible yet I didn't let it bother me too much.

It wasn't until 2011 when I realized just how fragile life is.  That was when a coworker my age was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of leukemia.  Although he fought, he understood this was not a battle he would likely win so he made a bucket list.  He got to do some of the things on his bucket list including a Boston Red Sox gam, but his cancer spread too quickly for him to do everything on the list.  I almost cried when we learned the Red Sox were footing the bill for him and his wife to go.

After he passed I decided to make my own bucket list.  I decided I needed to make sure I was living my life to the fullest.  So in honor of 328 (that was his badge number) here is my bucket list.

1. See every Major League Baseball team play at least 1 home game.  I grew up around baseball, and I love watching games.  There is nothing like the atmosphere of a ball game.  So far I have seen 4 teams play home games.  I have a long ways to go!

2. Get my Master's Degree.  This one is a lot about proving someone wrong, but I will also use it in my career.  When I was in high school the mom of a girl in my class told someone I would never amount to anything.  So far I have been successful in every stage of my education and career, and I have worked a lot of major cases considering I'm only 30.  I know she thinks I'm just a dumb cop, but I smile when I see her around.  I know that part of my success was formed out of a drive to prove her wrong. So thank you, and I will continue to prove her wrong

3. Spend at least 2 weeks touring Europe.  I really want to do several week long trips to different areas.  My biggest problem is I have no clue where to start.  I was a history major in college so there are a million different things I want to see.  It's overwhelming to think about how I will fit everything in.  Holland, France, Italy, Scotland, Great Britain, Germany, Portugal, Spain.........

4. Go skydiving.  This one is for my friend who passed.  A bunch of guys were going to go with him when I was pregnant.  I told him when I wasn't pregnant I would go with him.  Unfortunately he got too sick a week before they were supposed to go, and he never made it.

5. Go scuba diving.  This one should be easy.  My neighbor is a part owner of a dive shop.  When CJ gets back I'm going to get certified.  Then we are off to Jamaica where I can try out my new skills! This one is done! I got my scuba certificate in 2015, and my advanced in 2016. Now I just need an island, warm weather and clear waters!

6. LASIK eye surgery.  This one scares the crap out of me, but I need it so bad.  I don't remember ever waking up and being able to see clearly.  I want it so badly, but theta thought of it makes me want to vomit.  Do you know that you can smell them burning your eyeball?  Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! I did it, and it was every bit as terrifying as I expected.  I have been in some not so hot situations at work, but this is by far the scariest thing I've ever done.  The good news is I went from legally blind without glasses or contacts to slightly better than 20/20!!!

I think my bucket list covers everything I want it to at this stage in my life.  I'm sure as I mature my list will change, but that is fine.  This list is about making sure I enjoy life not just checking items off a list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rolling with the Punches

I've gotten pretty good at rolling with the punches.  I've had a lot of ups and downs in life.  This deployment has shown me a handful more, but not much could prepare me for what I learned on Thursday.  It rocked me to the point of tears which does not typically happen.  I cried in front of coworkers for the first time ever. I had been at work for a mere 2 hours when CJ asked me if we could FaceTime.  I knew it was going to be bad since he wanted to tell me as close to face to face as possible.  I found a quiet room and quickly called.  The news that followed made me want to puke.  His unit is being reassigned.  Instead of coming home in August they will go to Kuwait.  There is no word on what exactly they will do from there, and more importantly no word on when they will be home.  They may be released when their original orders are up in October, but there is a highly probable chance their orders will be extended.  This could push their homecoming back to next summer. 

I'm a Hypocrite

That's right folks.  I'm a great big hypocrite.  I have been so absorbed in my life and my worries over the last few years that I have forgotten about others.  One of my posts from earlier talked about a friend who wasn't there for me when she said she would be.  It hurt me, but I realized today that I have not been an emotional support to others much either. I had a friend in college, Amy.  She was a beautiful girl, but struggled with her self esteem.  It hurt me to watch her in her struggle, but I had no clue how to help.  I was young and immature. I should have just given Amy a hug and told her how amazing she was.  I didn't let her know that our friendship was what was important to me.  Only one time was I there for her when she needed, and that was only because someone had to call and tell me she needed me.  I got a call from our cheerleading coach in the middle of the night.  Amy was threatening to kill herself.  I had someone get Beth, and I ran to Amy'

Failure, Anger and Jealousy

Today hasn't been a good day for me, and I don't know how to turn it around. Right now I'm in my room with tears in my eyes while my kids run wild way after bedtime.  Today I'm failing. Today I can't get anything done, and I'm just getting mad at everyone. I'm buried at work, and my house looks like a freaking disaster. I'm not talking the over dramatic my house is a mess because I didn't dust last week crap. I'm talking we can't walk through bedrooms without breaking stuff, laundry is has overtaken every room and the floors have who knows what stuck to them. To top it all off, the guy who said he would now for me isn't. It's been over a month since the lawn was mowed, and it looks more like a troll on LSD than a yard.  Today I'm mad because once again someone said they would do something to help me out, and they have failed to deliver. I was relieved when CJ told me he had someone to mow the lawn. It i one less thing I had